Monday, August 10, 2009

Intubation: Concerns for the Singer



T-minus 9 days ...

The intubation part of general anesthesia is a little scary. A lot scary. After all, I'm having this surgery for the reason that I am a singer, I need my jaw to be comfortable and non-arthritic to sing, and I feel I have a future in the field. What if the anesthesiologist is scrapes my vocal cords?

I am also told that I need them to be very careful of my neck because of the various conditions there ... which may end up helping my cords in the end.


There is something called "fiberoptic intubation," which allows the anesthesiologist 
to look down the windpipe with a little camera in order to more carefully guide the tube. There is then a far lower risk of any damage to the vocal cords ... but I am going to be on the safe side and speak with my surgeon ahead of time on this to make sure the proper equipment is prepared. The image to the left shows what the camera sees as it is guiding the intubation. (Let's be mature, people! Those are vocal cords!)

As I've said before, it is more than fine for patients to demand the best quality of care.

I'm relying on this method and praying for a kind hearted anesthesiologist! These cords are my reason for being -- I know that must sound dramatic, but it is absolutely true. T
hey are my livelihood. Therefore, they must be completely protected.

Here is an informational video on intubation. It's not very graphic at all. It kind of makes me laugh because I am getting this image of an anesthesiologist using it as an on-the-job guide: 


Until next time ...

No comments:

Post a Comment