Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Prayers, Fears and Welcome Realizations

In California, it is still T-minus 8 days, lol!
The past two days have blended together because I have been in so much pain with my head and neck. Has to be stress. Likewise, my cholesterol is also up!! What is this?! (ps, can't wait until I can partake in some of the candy in the photo to the right ... jawbreakers!! hahaha No one said anything about my blood SUGAR)

Despite blinding headache pain, I had a really nice day today. My voice teacher and I made a recording of a few lines of "Voi che sapete" from Figaro (the aria I performed right before the infamous fall!) ... and I was genuinely AMAZED and how much better I sound than I did in May. I just need to get that teeny extra opening -- it really did sound very beautiful. She does not give unfounded compliments, and it is nice to have this with me as I go forward for here. A MUCH needed confidence booster and a little something to hang my hat on before surgery.

That's about all ... not a very eventful day. Have my final pre-op on Thursday and then we'll get this show on the road .... but the nerves are really starting. :-/ All my memories of surgery are of my mother's breast surgeries (she had breast cancer); I remember how much they hurt her. I don't have good associations with surgeons ... I remember her being in recovery for HOURS for shorter procedures than I am having done. But I'm going to have to take it a step at a time.

It sounds SO silly, but even at 24 (and a half) years old, I am still afraid of when I have to leave my parents and it's just me and the doctors. I worry they won't call them right away when I wake up. I know that's silly ... I just want my family there.

And then, I want to be able to SING. I am not sure if my teacher was aware of just what she gave me today ... but I will treasure it always.

With Love,

3 comments:

  1. It's not silly to want to be with your parents! Through all my surgeries from age 5 to 17 I always wanted my mom to be there, she'd bring me a stuffed animal and one time when I woke up my surgeon had placed a band aid on my bear, a small action that meant a lot. My dad would bring work with him and get squeamish.

    You will be able to sing again, hang in there, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amanda. I think surgeons who work on adults are not as soft, lol. Especially oral surgeons. I told my mom I wanted pink roses in my room (at home). We'll see. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you get your roses! Um yeah my oral surgeon at NYU was a complete jackass who made me cry and I don't cry. Momma Corn will come through!

    ReplyDelete