Saturday, August 8, 2009

The singer, the "Addict"?

I am not ashamed to admit that during the past several months since this accident, I have had to get a bit of professional help to deal with the ensuing depression and was put on an anti-depressant. 

Being a good little patient, I allowed my surgeon and psychiatrist to speak, simply because I figured the surgeon needed some sort of psychiatric clearance on me or something.

Instead, my psychiatrist (very soon to be former), who has a very professional title at Mt. Sinai, informed my surgeon that I am addicted to "opiates" and have used them in situations other than pain (therefore constituting abuse). As a result, my surgeon refused to treat me with narcotics.

I learned yesterday from the psychiatrist that I am an "addict" and have been "abusing" Vicodin. ALL I have done has been to call him to ask about interactions with Vicodin and the medications HE has been prescribing. I take Vicodin approximately once a week (sometimes not at all) for the pain that I get from my neck. My pain management MD AND my GP are aware of what I am taking. Doesn't sound like an addict to me.

I say this because patients NEED TO BE INFORMED OF WHAT THEIR DOCTORS ARE SAYING. Had I NOT been responsible, this crap would have stayed in my chart and become part of my record. Instead, due to the help of three amazing doctors, the situation has been corrected and the psychiatrist completely discredited. 

It is a fact that a surgeon will not treat you as well if he believes you to be some sort of junkie.

This is akin to identity theft and was a HORRIBLY embarrassing experience.

1) When you allow two doctors to consult, ask for a summary of what they talked about. It is also your RIGHT to request their notes from the conversation.

2) If something alarming appears, ACT. There is NO reason why a patient should be misrepresented. Call a physician who KNOWS you.

3) Have said physician smooth out the situation ... he/she can speak on your behalf and attest to your character, etc.

4) Make sure the erroneous information is stricken from your chart. Legally, it cannot be removed ... but the doctor can write "INVALID" or something like that across it.

As livid as I am, I hope SOMEONE learns something from this experience. Doctors do NOT have all the power; patients need to know their rights. I am not just a collection of cells and tissue and bone. I sought help because I was depressed. I was HONEST. And I get labeled an addict. I am by no means suggesting that people lie to their doctors; just use caution and DOUBLE CHECK WHAT INFORMATION THEY HAVE RECEIVED.

2 comments:

  1. My dad can't get foot surgery for a really painful foot condition because he's an alcoholic. He has NO issues with pain medicine (I've never seen the man take even a Tylenol), but, because he's an "addict," he cannot have surgery at all. Yeah, people have to have very strong opiates after that kind of surgery and he's at risk for addiction, but he has had so many horrible things result from his alcoholism that the LAST thing he would let himself do is become addicted to painkillers.

    I'm glad that you got this sorted out - there's no reason for someone's sloppy assessment of you to impact your ability to get the good medical care that you deserve. Kudos to having three doctors take the time to make sure things were made right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about your dad -- there is such stigma in the medical world that it is unbelievable. Will they not operate because there is an addiction? I know alcoholics who have had to have surgery, and they are simply put on something for withdrawal (forgetting the name ... it's a pill or IV)

    That's crap. Can you get another opinion? I don't recommend a psychiatric assessment, lol. But is there another advocate for your dad?

    ReplyDelete